Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bye, Bye Henna...A quick update...


Hey gals, I thought I'd do a quick update on my hair...


I've been rocking red locks for awhile now, thanks to henna. And while I love the color, and absolutely adore what henna has done for my hair, I'm not entirely sad to say I may be giving it up. Henna has absolutely been a miracle worker in salvaging my trashed out locks, honestly I can't sing it's praises loud enough. My hair went from split ends, overall dryness and dullness, and just generally being unhealthy, to shiny, moisturized, luscious locks. Seriously. But, all good things must come to an end.

I thoroughly enjoy changing my hair color, before henna, changing my hair color was a monthly occurence. Red one day, blonde the next, and the cycle goes on and on. When it comes to my beauty routine, I like variety. After all, variety is the spice of life. So. henna and I are breaking up. However, I have recently discovered the joys of cassia and I think I've found my rebound.

When I first started researching henna, months and months ago, I also stumbled upon cassia, but ignored it in favor of henna. At the time, I wanted red locks, and that was the end of the story. Within the last month or so, I've started researching alternatives to henna. While I would like my color to change, I'd like to keep reaping the overall benefits of henna. Yes, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Unfortunately for me, and any other henna-head who has a change of heart, henna is virtually impossible to remove. You could try, but you'd probably end up with utterly fried hair long before the henna is gone. Or worse, bald. I am not desperate enough to risk either of those options, so I'll just have to grow it out, and cut it off.

Anywho, I'll post more in depth info on cassia coming up; what it is, what it does, etc. Just wanted to post a quick update.

If you've tried cassia, what'd you think?

4 comments:

Louise said...

I tried cassia, I can't really say it flipped me over sideways, but it's realatively oki. It's a compromise between henna and the hair dye sold in stores.

Stephanie said...

Hi there... been following your exploits on NC and found your blog. :)

I have been using henna for about a year and while I love the color, it's never really liked my hair... so now I'm in the "grow it out as gracefully as possible" process since I don't want to cut my hair too short (it's past shoulder length.)

If you used pure henna, you shouldn't have any problems with other color on top, but as always, do the strand test to make sure. :)

Steph

Mrs. Blacksten said...

Hey Steph,
Thanks for reading! :)

I did color over my henna multiple times, the problem is the red still shows through, so my roots and my length never match. I don't mind growing it out, it isn't so bad, my hair is still really healthy, and the cassia is great for strength and shine.

Annie Monie said...

So is it worth it? Well, only each individual person can decide. There are those that try it and curse the names of those that introduce them to it for ages! Yet, there are many such as myself, that swear by it. Even after my experiment, it made me realize how much I don't miss chemical hair dyes. Yes, as a life long brunette, sometimes it was fun to be a blonde for a little while here and there. However the benefits of not having to trim my hair excessively every month from brittle split ends, the added volume and shine to my hair, and the fact I know I'm taking a safer route for my body and the environment, more than makes up for it. Besides, the whole "cherry chocolate" shade I've been using looks pretty good on me!



hair dye for black hair

Basic Hair Care Tips: Do This, Don't Do That

Hi Ladies! I thought I would just do a really quick basic hair care tips post for you today. I know when I was first researching how to prop...