Friday, September 4, 2009

Tips For Cleaning Your Makeup Brushes

So, typically I tend to wash my makeup brushes weekly, and I got to thinking; does everyone do this? How often do you clean your makeup brushes; daily, weekly, never? I know that makeup brushes are a haven for all sorts of bacteria, germs, and dirt. I think we can all agree that rubbing that into your face on a daily basis can't be good for your skin. I know that I've noticed a difference in my skin the more often I wash my makeup brushes, and how I wash them. So, I thought I'd share some tips on what seems to work for me.

I should mention at this point that I prefer synthetic brushes for my face, as natural hair makeup brushes tend to cause skin irritation for me. My absolute favorite brushes for applying my mineral foundation are Everyday Minerals Long-Handled Kabuki and Flat Top Brush, both of which are only $10 and can be checked out here.

So back to the tips:
  • I always wash my brushes in lukewarm water with hand soap; antibacterial for my synthetic brushes, and moisturizing hand soap for my natural hair brushes. I find that with natural bristle brushes antibacterial soap dries the bristles out too much and causes the bristles to become rather scratchy. However, no matter how many times I wash my synthetic brushes they feel as soft as the day I got them.
  • I start by putting some soap and water in the palm of my hand and rubbing the makeup brush bristles into the mixture until it starts to foam. Typically, I rinse and repeat this step until the water runs clear.
  • Once I'm done with the actual washing I gently squeeze out any excess water, and place synthetic makeup brushes on a flat surface to dry. With my natural hair makeup brushes I use The Brush Guard.
  • The Brush Guard is awesome, it allows me to wash my makeup brushes and dry them, while retaining their original shape. When you wash natural hair makeup brushes they always dry, and the bristles never look the same. With The Brush Guard this is no longer a problem. The Brush Guard can be picked up here. Bear in mind when using The Brush Guard that drying takes longer, about twice the amount of time it would take normally.
Well ladies, I hope this helps! Until next time..........

No comments:

Basic Hair Care Tips: Do This, Don't Do That

Hi Ladies! I thought I would just do a really quick basic hair care tips post for you today. I know when I was first researching how to prop...