Saturday, November 6, 2010

Review: AG Hair Cosmetics Re:coil Curl Activator




It’s product review time again, on trial today is AG Hair Cosmetics Re:coil Curl Activator. Re:coil is a curl enhancer, with enough hold to be used as a sole styling product. It’s pleasant disposition also makes it a great base product, as it plays well with others.

So, why use a curl enhancer at all? I use curl enhancers on a daily basis, though I alternate what I use. Once my hair is fully dry, it’s full on curly. However, when I first get out of the shower, my hair looks like it’s straight. After applying my products for the day, and scrunching like a crazy lady, my limp locks have done a 180 and it’s Hello Curly. Curl enhancers are products that enhance what you’ve already got, whether your wavy, curly, or kinky. And in my opinion, are well worth the investment, both financially and the slightly added amount of time it takes you to incorporate them into your routine.

Re:coil Curl Activator is a creamy product with a pleasant smell, and unique texture. According to AG, on a scale from 1 to 5, Re:coil has a hold factor of 3. Not too shabby for a cream-type product. It doesn’t dry crunchy, it leaves hair touchable. I use a pea-sized amount, and emulsify it in my hands, where it appears to multiply. I then scrunch it into my hair, until there’s no white residue visible anywhere, and I top it off with a gel. Then I continue with the rest of my usual routine.

The only drawback, in my opinion, with Re:coil is that the main curl enhancing ingredient can be drying. Magnesium Sulfate, which you may have heard of before, is a great curl enhancer. I don’t know how it works, but it does. I don’t find Re:coil drying on my hair, but I know plenty of ladies on NaturallyCurly have mentioned that they can’t use it on a daily basis. I use a leave-in everyday, which helps counteract any dryness.
Here are the ingredients, from CurlMart:

water/aqua/eau, polyquaternium-55, hydroxypropyl starch, cetyl alcohol, stearalkonium chloride, stearyl alcohol, ceteareth-20, cetearyl alcohol, glycerin, corn starch modified, cetrimonium chloride, salvia officinalis (sage) leaf extract, urtica dioica (nettle) extract, chamomilla recutita (matricaria) flower extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, melissa officinalis leaf extract, achillea millefolium extract, prunus serotina (wild cherry) bark extract, cymbopogon schoenanthus extract, calendula officinalis flower extract, sodium pca, polyquaternium-10, magnesium sulfate, silk amino acids, cocodimonium hydroxypropyl hydrolyzed keratin, panthenol, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, tetrasodium edta, parfum/ fragrance, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone.

Re:coil comes in 2 sizes, 6oz and 12oz. The 6oz size is $18, and the 12oz size is $31. I know it somewhat expensive, but a little bit goes a long way, and it’s worth the investment.

Have any of you ladies tried it? What was your experience?

2 comments:

Sexyhair said...

I never tried this one yet and upon reading your post I am excited to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Sonia said...

Yeah, I have also never tried AG Hair Cosmetics Re:coil Curl Activator,but I'm now tempted to go ahead and buy it! I have difficult hair so I really need something good!

Basic Hair Care Tips: Do This, Don't Do That

Hi Ladies! I thought I would just do a really quick basic hair care tips post for you today. I know when I was first researching how to prop...